I’m fairly certain I will ultimately be the mother of four boys. Call it mother’s intuition. If I’m wrong, in 6 years or so you can call it a load of bunk. We’ll see.
I also have five wienerdogs. I don’t know why, and that’s really an obscene number of dachshunds to live in one small house, but here we are and that’s just the way it is. I used to say that I liked wienerdogs by proxy, it’s really my husband with the obsession and I just come along for the ride. Really, though, I don’t think I’m allowed to say that anymore since he’s trained me to spot a wienerdog print at forty paces, an actual wienerdog at a hundred yards across a lake in a snowstorm.
So, when I saw this print at Hancock (M’liss – always holding those wiener puppies in the ads, you know) I bought some even though it’s pink and I am destined for boys. It’s lived here for awhile, and when my friend Debra showed me this blanket tutorial, I sort of had to put everything down and make it. Really, what good is a large-scale dachshunds-in-sweaters print with fashion words sprinkled throughout good for besides a blanket? Not much.
I followed the Made tutorial to the Aesthetic Nest tutorial and decided to go with flannel for the chenille because it sounded snugglier. Three yard and a quarters of flannel later and we were in business. The Aesthetic Nest tutorial mentioned an Olfa Chenille cutter, so I peeked in the quilting notions for one, and OUCH! They had it, but it was over $30. That was about 3x more than I was spending on fabric and notions in total, so that wasn’t going to work. I checked Joann’s and they didn’t have the Olfa, but they had the Clover Slash Cutter for around $15 and 50% off, so I said sure! It was heaps better and easier than snipping all of those lines with scissors – though I would second the recommendation to start the cut in each channel with your scissors – if you’re using the Clover tool, then by a full scissors length – so that you can get the cut started easily with all three fabrics and so that there’s enough space behind the cut to get a good hold on.
Because I am unable to just make something without deciding to do it my own overly complicated way, I decided that instead of just the regular bias channels, I would put a dachshund in the center. Originally, I thought about continuing the outer lines of the dachshund so that the quilting lines seemed to radiate from it, but then I regained my senses and realized that it may make the dachshund harder to see, and those lines wouldn’t necessarily be on the bias, so the fluff out wouldn’t happen. The other two tutorials have great directions, so I’ll show you where I deviate.
Once I had the fabrics spread out (I didn’t use any spray adhesive – flannel sticks together well – and who needs another step, especially one involving noxious fumes), I freehanded a non-artist’s approximation of a dachshund with tailor’s chalk.
I pinned in a few places just for the trip down to the sewing machine and followed the outline with a line of stitches. The flannel and my hands moving the fabric wanted to erase my lines, so I found myself re-tracing lines that had gotten faint while sewing so as not to lose my tentative hold on the closest approximation to a dachshund I could muster.
I then filled in the dachshund. I did this with the flannel side facing me rather than flipping it, because the circular nature of the channels made lumps on the topside while the bottom stayed even as opposed to when you stitch the straight lines being more able to keep the ugly on the bottom as in the other two tutorial instructions. At this point, all the pins were gone, because the layers weren’t really going anywhere anymore.
I then marked my bias line coming from the dog to start the straight line stitches.
…aaaaand lines stitched. I started from the center and worked out from the dog to the blanket edge. If you’re just making straight lines with no image in the center, this will be considerably faster and monumentally less of a pain, but oh, the things we do for wienerdogs in this house.
Then I snipped all the little channels and everything was groovy-Sue. I went with a satin binding because 1. I quilted a freaking wienerdog and there was no way I was making bias tape to bind it myself, and 2. None of the cotton pre-made quilt binding matched, but one of the satins did. I also did the full size binding rather than cutting and pressing and so forth as in Aesthetic Nest’s tutorial, though it looks lovely (for reasoning, see #1 above).
What can you do at this point but pray? And also wash and dry. You know, can’t rely on the heavens for everything. I stopped it early because I wanted to see it, so I know that it will fluff more, but I’m really happy with the results. I already have blankets for my boys in mind. All four of them.
One thing I would make sure and adjust in future – notice the darkness where the edges of the wienerdog are on the outside. The slash cutter has a little lip at the edge that ran up against the stitching line for the dachshund. I didn’t go back and clip with my scissors to get that further up, but I will, because I don’t like how it looks. If you’re just doing straight lines, you won’t have that issue, but if you do a pattern in the center, you may want to snip.